Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Grand Officers at Mary C. Burdick No.6

Monday, October 4, 2010 

Brother Vincent’s Chicken “Pulls the Worthy Grand Patron off the East!”

What a way for us to end a Monday, great traveling weather, great friends and GREAT FOOD!  Brother Vincent Comegno and his crew in the kitchen took dinner to another level.  What a way to start the evening.  As a first timer to Mary C. Burdick No. 6, I have to tell you I know why everyone comes to the Lodge and Chapter dinners.  These ‘guys’ take their cooking seriously.   Started off with a nice fresh fruit cup, with a buffet style dinner of tossed salad, mashed potatoes with gray and green beans.  Oh, did I forget the Chicken!  Vince’s baked chicken thighs, yes boneless skinless thighs.  The Worthy Grand Patron enjoyed this very much.  There were homemade “eagle head” chocolate (pops) as a table favor.  A beautifully decorated cake for desert.

After dinner, and before heading up to the chapter room, we had two drawings.  The first drawing, for a ‘secret surprise’ that you purchased tickets for.  I had two tickets and (before the drawing offer to swap them with anyone.  The WGM and I swapped tickets and I almost had a swap with Sister Madine (Churchill) for my second ticket.  She shouldn’t have backed out.  I won the drawing, and the prize was two “Pumpkin Animal” kits.  Picture a ‘Mr. Potato Head’ except the potato is a pumpkin (not included) and cast iron extremities to stick into the pumpkin(s), a chicken and a turkey.  The second drawing; Everyone who registered, received a ticket, and this was for the ‘door prize’.  The door prize was a fall wreath, with brightly fall colored leaves.  The winner was Sister Emma Britch. 


We gathered in the chapter room for the entertainment portion of the program:
What Happens When You Pray?
Our Father who art in Heaven. . . .
Yes?
Don't interrupt me. I'm praying. . . .
But you called Me.
Called you? I didn't call you. I'm praying. 
Our Father who art in Heaven.
There, you did it again.
Did what?
Called Me. You said, "Our Father who art in Heaven."  Here I am. What's on your mind?
But I didn't mean anything by it. I was, you know, just saying my prayers for the day. I always say the Lord's Prayer. It makes me feel good, kind of like getting my duty done.
All right. Go on.
Hallowed be Thy name.
Hold it. What do you mean by that?
By what?
By "Hallowed be Thy name."
It means....it means....good grief, I don't know what it means. How should I know? It's just part of the prayer. By the way, what does it mean?
It means "Honored, Holy, Wonderful."
Hey, that makes sense. I never thought about what "Hallowed" meant before. 
Thy Kingdom come, Thy will be done on earth as it is in Heaven.
Do you really mean that?
Sure, why not?
What are you going to do about it?
Doing? Nothing, I guess. I just think it would be neat if you got control of everything down here like you have up there.
Have I got control of you?
Well, I go to church.

Excerpt from "If God Talked Out Loud"
by Clyde Herring
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA

This was a two part skit featuring the Treasurer and Associate Patron of the chapter.  Very nice job!
   
After the entertainment, the meeting was opened in form followed by the presentation of the Grand Officers in the East:  Kathleen Sjolander, Worthy Grand Matron and Alec Porter, Worthy Grand Patron.   After which, introduction of the, General Grand Chapter Committee Members; PGM, Barbara E. Wheaton and PGP, Ronald F. Boudreau, Past Grand Matron and Patrons, and Grand Officers.  WGM Kathy and WGP Alec were presented honorary memberships to Mary C. Burdick No. 6. 

PGP Ronald Boudreau spoke on behalf of the General Grand Committee members, mentioning that 80 people are signed up for the trip to New York City.  PGM Jerri K. Riegler spoke on behalf of the Past Grands and told the story of the bats that joined the chapter for a meeting, and Rodney Churchill, Grand Sentinel, spoke on behalf of the Grand Officers.  

The WGM and WGP had kind words for all and addressed the Make-A Wish project and the Service Dog program . 

The credentials committee reported and I got involved with the silver collection and passing out chocolates, so I never did hear how many attended.  The silver collection netted $100 for the Make-A-Wish project, thank you all!

Our next stop on the “On the Wings of Love” tour is with Bingham Chapter #30 and Mayflower # 19 to be held in Wilmington on Sunday, October 17th.  This is an OPEN meeting with lunch at Noon.  
Remember your SCAVANGER HUNT Items!  

I am NOT going to be able to attend, as Chittenden Chapter has the annual Scholarship Turkey Dinner on this date.

Someone forward me a report of the meeting and we’ll get in included in the BLOG!!!

Hope to see you all on the Star trail!

Brother Dan, Grand Chaplain
 “Remember, friends are like angels, you don’t have to see them to know they are there!”

No comments:

Post a Comment